Monday, June 15, 2015

I-90 Routes

After exploring the nooks and crannies of I-90 between North Bend and Snoqualmie Pass for the last few years, I have some routes that I like. In general, they share a few characteristics: 1) they are loops; 2) most of them incorporate unofficial/abandoned trails or cross-country travel in order to connect official trails into more elegant routes; 3) they'll get you off the beaten path; and 4) they're absolutely worth doing. The 'Granite Mountain Circumnavigation' is an exception to some of these, being entirely on well-traveled trails and already being very well-known, but I've included it because it's popular and in the area.

THE ROUTES


"Miles - Min" and "EG - Min" refer to the loop itself with no side trips
"Miles - Max" and "EG - Max" include the loop and recommended side trips























If you try one of these routes and have general feedback, pictures I could use to help show off the routes, GPS data I can use to verify/increase the accuracy of what I've posted, or any other kind of comment, please don't hesitate to contact me through the form at the bottom of the page.

I'm putting this info "out there" with the hopes that it will encourage people to try something more challenging and interesting than yet another out-and-back to some lake or viewpoint, but I make no guarantees about the accuracy of anything posted here, the experience you'll have, or that I even necessarily have your best interests in mind. While all of the routes are "walkable" in that they do not require technical climbing or difficult scrambling, they will take you off well-maintained trails, require actual navigation skills, and are overall much more of "wilderness routes" at times than they are "just another day on trail". I encourage everyone to get outside their comfort zone and challenge themselves, but to do so safely and responsibly.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Such an awesome resource, thanks Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran the Web Mountain Loop yesterday. Thanks so much for posting these routes! Looking forward to tackling a few more.

    ReplyDelete